Worst part of running - INJURIES

This week should have been a great week to focus on relaxing, getting into a rhythm of running after pushing to 40 miles last week and adding in strength training.  But that was not the case...

Monday, I got the run and core in.  Wednesday, run, core and back workout and then there was Thursday...I was halfway through a 5-mile run (literally had just passed the 2.5-mile mark) when I came down funny.  And when I say funny, I mean I'm not sure if I twisted it at the same time or what but all of a sudden I couldn't put weight on it.  When I bent it, you could hear and feel the cracking sounds in the knee.  This was not good, I had been surviving the pandemic by running 5-6 times a week and now adding the strength just after my 40th birthday should have been a turning point where I would have the opportunity to get stronger.  Instead, I had to cut my 2nd run of the day short and adjust the strength workout that night so I didn't do any other damage.  At least I was smart enough to tape it to give some support.  But now I'm on day 2 of resting and ice and I'll be honest, it sucks. 

Now, I'm trying to be smart to rest and not cause any more injury but it's not really in my DNA to just sit and not do anything.  But I need to get this knee issue under control as going to the doctor in this time is not really something I want to do...so I'm giving it some rest and hoping to try a short run tomorrow.  Sadly it's in place of my 11-mile long run which I was looking forward to.  But, by being smart now I'll be ready to go back without losing too much time...right?  That's the plan and I'm hoping to stick with it.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2 of Quarantine -- Making the most out of our time.

Things I've learned this week...

NumPy and Pandas -- the Start of Summer